Friday, October 01, 2010

Monthly Review - September 2010

September was an outstanding month for financial progress. Just about everything moved my way and, in some cases, the gains were impressive. Even the currency movements were favourable as the USD depreciated. Portfolio gains were supplemented by positive cash flow on my properties and a good savings rate. Also, I transferred some more money to mrs traineeinvestor which had no material impact on the monthly result.

Here are the details:

1. my Hong Kong equity portfolio appreciated....a lot. I purchased shares in Vodone and some small caps (details to follow in a separate post)

2. my ETFs appreciated in line with their respective markets (Hong Kong, Russia, Taiwan and India)

3. my commodities appreciated for a modest gain (ETF, silver, HOGS, NICK)

4. all of my properties were let and are making a positive contribution to my net worth. However, I have been hit hard with multiple repairs which were either paid in September or will be paid in October. Also, one property became vacant at the end of September. This means that a small negative cash flow in September will be come a much larger cash flow in October. That said, as the biggest component of the monthly payments is principal on the mortgages, the properties will remain profitable even with a vacancy

5. currency movements were favourable, as the AUD and NZD appreciated against the USD

6. savings were positive with income being average and expenses also being below average. Net savings were good

7. I transferred some money to mrs traineeinvestor for tax planning purposes. As this is an outright transfer it represents a reduction in the net worth of the private portfolio

My cash position was slightly increased after purchasing some equities and the transfer to mrs traineeinvestor and now represents about 10 month's worth of expenses.

For the month, net worth increased 6.63%. The year to date increase is 18.4%.

My target retirement window remains sometime between early 2012 and the end of 2013

No comments: